Sunday, January 17, 2010

How do you handwash bath towels?

My washer finally gave up the ghost. There is no money to use a laundromat or buy a new washer until about September. I don't mind hand washing with a washboard, but I'm concerned that I will have trouble with towels. Won't they soak up all the water and be impossible to rinse? Anyone successful at this?How do you handwash bath towels?
First put up all the heavy good towels until the new washer arrives. Use the older less thick ones. Also you can have your family try to recycle them a bit more. say one per family member and then use the hand towels for the actual drying off and the large one for wrapping up in. Vinegar is good suggestion also. Or if all you have is heavy good towels make them be used three times, first time body next time hair wrap next time, bath mat then wash. But let me suggest be frugal and wash light stuff by hand and then take the towels and jeans to the laundry mat for washing you can bring them home for drying.How do you handwash bath towels?
I've had to do this before.It's no fun doing the towels.I used a little less soap(of course) because the rinsing is so hard while hand washing all clothes.But the one thing I did come to find out is in the rinse add approximately 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar to the rinse water and swish it really good.Drain the water and rinse again.What this does is help break down the soap residue and soften the clothes.And the towels will be softer and soak water better after a bath.I did this for all the clothes I hand washed.I noticed a big difference,the jeans were not so stiff and soapy feeling.Give it a try,I think you'll see what I mean.Vinegar is relatively cheap too,about $1.50 a gallon.


Oh yea it's Cider Vinegar(brown) and the smell will go away without being able to tell you used it.
soak them in warm water and detergent if you have a tub to do this in , using your hands scrub them and with an up and down motion rinse them out until there is no more suds coming out from them wring and hang on the clothes line ,if you use the drier make sure that you have wrong them out completely otherwise they will be too heavy and take a very long time to dry, if you have a laundromat near by it would be easier.
It has happen to all of us at one time or another. I use to wash mine out in the tub. Yes, they do take in water, especially the heavy ones. When they get wet they weight much more and can be hard to handle. I had my children help wring them out. One ( two in my case they were very young) made it out like a game. Make sure that you wring as much water out as possible, especially when putting in the dryer. I hung my out on the line.


Best wishes
they'll need to hang to dry for a while, but its possible

No comments:

Post a Comment