Thursday, May 13, 2010

After using your bath towel do you wash it or use it again?

How about just a hair towel?


How about your kid's towel?





Just wondering....we do both really...but I do soooo much laundry I wondered if re-use would be such a bad idea?After using your bath towel do you wash it or use it again?
as long as you can air it out not bunch it up you can use it for a few days. In the summer i only do about three days because even with the air on ( don't keep my house cold) the towel begins to smell.


In the winter i keep it for a weekAfter using your bath towel do you wash it or use it again?
An environmentalist would tell you to reuse it. A cleaning fanatic to wash it every time. I grew up using towel holders for decorations, towels were washed every time, no question. But hubbie reuses towels for a month.





Reusing the towels saves the planet by using less water and electricity (which comes from fossil fuels). It also saves money, since you have to pay for detergent, water, electricity, wear and tear on your washer and dryer etc.





I notice no difference in the towels as long as they dry completely between uses. That said, if they do not they quickly develop nasty odors since bacteria can thrive in them, especially if you apply something like leave in conditioners before toweling your hair. The unsightliness of seeing towels hung up over something bothers me, as does the occasional build up of mold where wet towels are constantly hung (need to avoid that - definitely a health hazard).





So it is up to you, are you an environmentalist, a clean fanatic, or somewhere in the middle? I think with more people going green towels will be reused more often, and no longer will towel holders be considered ornamental in bathrooms.... or was that just my mom doing that anyway?





If you do decide to hang your towels to dry between uses, make sure it is somewhere they can dry completely to avoid potentially dangerous mildew and mold build up.
We use our bath towels several times before washing them. Same for my ';just hair'; towel and our babies' towels. After all, it IS clean water you're drying off, isn't it? ;)





Plus, it really is too wasteful to launder them all the time like some people do. It's not very ';eco-friendly';, either. Think about all the water, energy and waste we use when we do our regular laundry. Why add to it more than we have to? Towels are clean, they just need to be hung to dry. Throw them in the wash about every other week, and then hang out to dry (if you can) and you'll be just fine! The only towels I recommend washing regularly are hand towels and kitchen towels, since they catch a lot of germs and bacteria.
We reuse them for about a week, will wash them earlier than that if they start to not feel fresh. But washing every day, unless the towel got really dirty for some reason (and why would it if you're just using it to dry off when you get out of the shower?) that's incredibly wasteful, lots of water and electricity to wash and dry a towel every single time it's used.
We reuse our bath towels for 5-7 days... then we switch. The towel I use for my hair (I have very long hair) could really go longer than that, but I just always throw it in at the same time to be washed.


My kid's towels could really be stretched longer too, but I just wash it at the same time as ours anyways.





The towels you use to dry off are basically clean... its just the wetness you have to watch out for. If you have a good place for the towels to dry out after each use, then reusing is a good idea... but if they're bundled up or in a damp place, then reusing is not a good idea, because that dampness is a place for bacteria to grow... even the limited amount that might be present.
both mine and the kids we use for most the week.. just as long as they are hung after they are okay, think your clean when you use them lol.. if they got really wet i wont use them as long, but usually that is not the case.. its fine to re use.. no need to waste water.. or you can always just stick them in the dryer when your done.. and re-use.. but if you wash them after each shower.. you will wear your towels out fast, not to mention get a nice water bill lol..
After I use my towel (after showering), I hang it up and use it once again the next day before washing it. The way I look at it, I'm drying off a clean body right from the shower; there's no sense in immediately throwing it into the wash just because it got ';wet'; basically. If I use a towel on anything ';dirty';, obviously it only gets used that one time.
I tend to wash mine after every use. Its a habit i picked up from my childhood. I dont think its necissarily wrong or gross to use it more than once so long as it isnt bunched and smelly. But even if your just drying a clean body you are still getting excess soap, dry skin, and even leftover dirt onto the towel. So i would say 2-3 times max for reuse.
I always re-use my towel and make my husband as well and my baby, if it doesn't have a major stink to it then I use it up to over a week, just make sure you air dry them really well, a drying rack helps, but most definitely re-use, you are reducing waste, your part on saving the planet, big hugs
Face cloths I wash after every use (I use them to wash my face and wash makeup off). Bath towels - for us and the kids - I'd say we use them about 2-3 times and then I wash them. I figure we're clean when we get out of the shower/bath, and I always hang them so they dry completely in between uses.
I use it over and over again- we are a family of 5, so we typically have a lot of laundry. My mom does it, but my older brother has to do his own...





I don't see why you should wash it every three days- its not like the towel has all the dirt on it or anything.
I use this http://www.puntotre.net/estetica/453-454鈥? for showers and drying my face


I also use a normal towel for my feet and also use a bidet towel and wash everything once a week.


Edit: I am the ONLY one using my own towels, we ALL have our own towels of course.
I definitely use them again. Unless my husband throws them on the floor of our bedroom. Those I have to re-wash.





But kids? Absolutely! We tubby two kids every day (summertime) and I'm not doing 2 extra loads of towels a week! That's crazy.





You are clean when you get out of the shower! The water you are drying off your body is clean water. What's the problem?


:)
I keep it for the week.





I have a friend that insists on washing it each time. It's a sure way to wear our your towels faster.





I have been holding onto my bath towels for a week forever. No problem that I know of.
I wash them daily.


They get one towel a day if they need more than one bath, they reuse the towel.





I only use one towel to dry myself. I dry myself, dress, then dry my hair.
With my kids, they use thier towels like 2 times out of the week and we wash them, also with our towels, me and my husband we use them 3 times and wash them.
we each reuse our towel 2 times..then it goes down to the wash.....





my baby uses hers 3times....





but make sure you wash the wash cloths after using them...you actually wash your dirty body with them....
we use our bath towels about 2-3 times then wash it.. I wouldn't use it more then 3 times before washing.. it.
My husband uses towels twice before throing them in the dirty clothes, but I can't use them anymore than once, and never have. It creeps me out too much.
In our house, everyone has their own towels, which are washed about once per week.


Washing them after each use is a terrible waste of water.
I reuse a bath towel for a week or so and just make sure to hang it when I'm done so that it dries quickly.
As long as you or the kiddos are clean after the bath (LOL!) then it's fine to use them several times before washing! I wash mine once a week for myself - my kiddos, I usually wash after three days! :)
I use mine like 2-3 times before washing... But for some reason I wash my son's after every bath. Hmmm... Maybe I should wait and reuse it like once... LOL thanks for asking this question! :)
I wash them every two weeks.In my house we all have are own towels and we wash them when someone gets sick.
We reuse our towels and wash them when we wash our clothing.


We are clean when we come out of the shower... so I see no reason to use a new towel everyday.


We reuse our hair towels.


My kids do the same.
We re-use our bath towels a couple of times. It's really hard to get my kids to hang theirs up to dry after using though.
All towels are washed and hung on the washing line , to be dried and used for an other time
I use it again - for 2-3 days
Same as Princess.
We resuse towels. Having just been used on my clean, fresh from the shower body, they aren't dirty.
I use our families towels for about a week then wash them.

No comments:

Post a Comment